Here is a round-up of recent peace-related news headlines and excerpts released by the NAD and the GC. Click on the titles to access the complete articles.
Equipped and Empowered to enditnow (Kimberly Luste Maran, 20 July 2017)
Twenty years later both of us know a lot more about how to help someone seek assistance, how to stop the violent cycle. There are online resources, hotlines, counseling programs, and shelters that can assist. Our pastors and church leaders in various ministries should be one source of help. This September’s enditnow Pastors’ Summit on Abuse is an important one-day training event for those leaders.
We, the Hispanic leadership of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in North-America, declare our determination to:
reject practices that instill humiliation and fear in the hearts of fellow human beings,
affirm the value of keeping families intact,
inspire our members and those who visit our churches to live lives of faith and trust in Divine guidance,
and appeal to all the Seventh-day Adventist churches, schools and individual members in the North-American Division to extend God’s love to all persons by creating an environment of acceptance and safety in our houses of worship.
“This award salutes the men and women in the struggle for equality in the Armed Services,” said Dawn C. Chase, Director of Diversity & Inclusion for the NAACP.... In the award presentation, Richard Matthews was recognized for the service he provided when he rented a truck and drove 1,000 miles to deliver pallets of clean drinking water to the residents of Flint, Michigan.
I would like to ask all of our 1.2 million members in the division to join in a special prayer of solidarity for those living in Guam and Micronesia. The Guam-Micronesia Mission is an important part of our North American Division family and during times like these we need to come together in support of our family.
- Adventist Church in North America responds to hate, violence in Charlottesville, Virginia (14 Aug 2017). Previously reported here.
- Seventh-day Adventists in the Southern Philippines assist Marawi city evacuees displaced by militant fighting (Teresa Costello, Jade Soreño, and Romhelyn Gay Deles, 31 May 2017)
- Responding to terror: Local Pathfinders find a way to memorialize victims of Manchester attack (Richard Daly & Peter Jeynes, 7 June 2017)
- Voices are raised for freedom at the 15th annual Religious Liberty Dinner (Sierra Emilaire, 9 June 2017)
- Adventist church in Puerto Rico provides day of respite to female inmates (Libna Stevens, 14 June 2017)
- ADRA World Refugee Day statement 2017 (ADRA, 20 June 2017)
- World Refugee Sabbath highlights a ‘sanctuary church’ in Southern Italy (Victor Hulbert, 20 June 2017)
- In St. Maarten, Adventists march for hope in communities affected by crime (Royston Philbert, 18 July 2017)
- Foundation opens center for mothers and children in Korea (25 July 2017)
- Over 1,000 flock to Adventist churches in Cambodia for free medical care (Teresa Costello, 27 July 2017)
- Lebanese teens learn value of community service (Maria Lombart, 27 July 2017)